The Second Edition, written by Robert B. Thompson, a leading scholar and teacher in the field, equips students with the legal rules and economic and financial principles they will need to help clients make keen strategic choices during an acquisition. Mergers and Acquisitions: Law and Finance offers up-to-date and rich, yet succinct, coverage with the perfect mix of theory and practice.
- Cases and materials illustrating the continued judicial tolerance of poison pills, still the most important takeover defense (the Air Products decision)
- The changing use of staggered boards in the fact of institutional shareholder criticism (e.g., willing to vote against directors who don't remove classified boards) and litigation (the Air Products decision)
- Judicial efforts to develop a uniform standard for cash-out mergers (the CNX decision)
- Broadened attention to the role of activist shareholders in takeovers and updating of the CSX decision
- More material on federal rules including disclosure and antitrust and additional discussion on international aspects